Kwame Alexander (Houghton Mifflin Harcourt)
Alexander’s excellent verse novel tackles sibling rivalries, romantic crushes, and parental pressures (though “tackles” is surely the wrong verb, since seventh-grader Josh Bell lives for basketball). The poems crackle with the intensity of a neck-and-neck game careening toward the final buzzer as Josh grapples with troubles on and off the court.
- Read the Full Review
- When They Got the Call: PW Speaks with the Newly Minted Newbery, Caldecott, and Printz Winners
- Miami Book Fair 2017: A Love Letter To Music and Ghana: 'PW' Talks with Kwame Alexander
- Kwame Alexander on His 2015 Newbery Win: 'Overwhelmed with Joy'
- ABA Winter Institute 2016: Conversations with Keynoters: Translating Ideas into Sales, With Kwame Alexander
- BookExpo 2017: Paying Tribute to Rock and Roll—and Ghana: Kwame Alexander